Benefits Of Membership
“What Do I Get For My Membership Dues?”
Even though ASID is now allowing Practitioner members the very helpful option to pay their dues via a monthly credit card debit instead of in one lump sum, some members may be on the fence about renewing their membership. At this time of year members may ask: “What do I get for my membership dues?” We thought it might be useful to expand upon that question for the various membership segments and have below compiled a list of some of the key benefits. Before we get to the tangible, however, let’s think about the intangible…
Professional organizations provide an efficient, fun way for like-minded people to keep educating themselves, share ideas, network, and assist one another in their career development. ASID is no different: It is a 30,000+ member industry support system that delivers information, provides a bevy of opportunities, and promotes the profession in the public marketplace. Does being a member of ASID – or any other organization, for that matter – guarantee success? Of course it doesn’t. It merely provides you access. What you do with that access is up to you.
Think of ASID membership as a gym membership. If you pay a tidy monthly sum to access the pool, the weight machines, the Pilates classes, etc., then you would be wasting your money if you never went, right? You only get your money’s worth if you actually take the time to get off the sofa or out from behind your desk and go to the gym.
When you see certain ASID benefits that do not appeal to you, take the gym membership analogy further. Even though you may never want to pick up a game on the basketball court or sweat it out on the rock climbing wall, your gym membership dues still need to pay for those features that someone else will use and love. Conversely, other members’ dues go towards offering those yoga classes you need so much.
Lastly, think of ASID members volunteers as part of the gym’s staff. With absolutely no compensation except for required travel, hundreds of members devote thousands of hours of their valuable time to keep you moving and motivated, while sprucing up the place and adding even more bells and whistles for you to enjoy. Due to their hard work and willingness to share their time and talents, you have access to these benefits.
GO HERE to see Member Benefits that are available to all members – i.e., Professional, Allied, Associate, Educator, Student, Industry Partner – on a National level. See below to read some of those National benefits PLUS additional ones that are specific to the ASID Texas Chapter. If you are an Industry Partner, GO HERE to find out more about your membership benefits. If you are a Student Member, GO HERE to read about all that ASID membership has to offer you.
Practitioner & Educator Members (Professionals, Allied & Associate)
- Complimentary listing on the National Designer Referral Service (must be set up online by the member), allowing you to upload project images and information about your business
- Listing on the Texas Chapter Referral Service (must be set up online by the member), allowing you to upload project images and information about your business (go here for information on pricing levels for enhanced profiles)
- Marketing & Business Resources
- Networking with industry peers at Chapter and Design Community events, as well as virtually on the ASID Texas Chapter Facebook page and the following ASID social networking pages/groups: Facebook (Page), LinkedIn,Twitter, YouTube, and Vimeo.
- Exclusive access and discounts on business tools such as contracts, insurance, credit cards and cell phones via ASID Advantage
- ASID printed and electronic publications: ASID ICON magazine and Eye on Design email newsletters keep you up to date on developments in the industry
- Subscription to the Texas Chapter’s printed and online quarterly magazine, Design Texas
- ASID UNi – an online continuing education resource
- Use of the widely recognized ASID appellations
- Use of the ASID Professional Member Mark for marketing purposes (for Professional Members only)
- When circumstances change, Inactive & Retired options for Practitioner & Allied members
- Significant discounts on NCIDQ Exam Preparation Courses
- Career Starter Kit for new Allied members
- Access to the Members only section of the ASID and ASID Texas websites, which contain Industry Knowledge, Media Opportunities, and additional Resources
- Access and discounts to ASID educational programs at conferences throughout the country
- One year of dues FREE when you pass the NCIDQ Exam and advance from Allied Member to Professional status
- Discounted pricing for METROCON Expo & Conference
- Design Competitions on the National, Chapter and Design Community level (where offered)
For Educator Members
- Reduced dues: $160 off for Educators and between $20-$160 off for Allied Member Educators, depending on one’s year of membership
- A discount of $150 on annual dues for serving as the Faculty Advisor to your ASID Student Chapter; GO HERE to find out more
- Classroom resources on the Educators area of the Society’s website
- The opportunity to enter the ASID Educator Design Excellence Competition, which provides those working towards tenure and promotion the opportunity to have their work nationally recognized and peer reviewed.