METROCON Expo & Conference
On August 15 & 16 over 2,500 interior designers, architects, facility managers, interior design students, and other vital design industry members from 27 states packed Dallas Market Hall for METROCON13 Expo & Conference. The regional two-day trade show, which concentrates on featuring the latest in products, services and innovations for the Architecture & Design community, made some major technological strides and attracted national attention in its 11th year.
1. We debuted the METROCON app for use on iTunes platforms. Attendees were able to access event, CEU, and food & beverage schedules, as well as an Exhibitor directory, trade show floor plan, and shuttle routes for area hotels. TIP: The Exhibitor content on the app will be active until January 1, 2014, so use it through the end of the year to remind yourself of the vendors you encountered during the show.
2. For the first time we were able to offer our Exhibitors the option to sign up for lead retrieval services through an app by QR Leadr, the same vendor utilized at NeoCon and other trade shows across the country. If the exhibitor had a smart phone or tablet, then there was no equipment to lease, and they received access to Attendee information within one business day after the show.
3. Business Interiors by Staples, this year’s Landmark Sponsor, sponsored the first-ever People’s Choice Awards for Exhibitors via Twitter. Attendee (Tweet-er) Mark Landrum of RCA and Exhibitor (Tweet-ee) T&L Commercial each won a 7” Kindle Fire HD, complete with the Staples Tablet Pack that included a screen protector, stylus pen, 15 mg of cloud storage and a two-year protection plan.
1. Officeinsight, a national publication that gives a voice to those who create workplace design and furnishings, attended and wrote a wrap-up article for their September 2, 2013 issue. Other media in attendance included representatives from Interior Design, Dallas Business Journal, D Home and D CEO.
2. For the second year in a row, ASID Executive Vice President/CEO, Randy Fiser, and VP of Membership, Troy Adkins, flew in from ASID Headquarters in Washington, DC, to attend the trade show and connect with the regional design community. On the Thursday evening of the show at the showroom of ASID Industry Partner Design Within Reach, Randy gave a special presentation to students about where the interior design industry is headed. This fun and informative event was organized by 2012-2013 Student Rep to the ASID Texas Chapter Board, Corey Davey, Allied ASID.
3. As part of its strategic plan to develop and present a defined agenda around the topics of new business models, globalization, and social responsibility / design impact upon the human experience, ASID Headquarters sponsored Gail Doby, ASID, of Design Success University to present the CEU “New Business Models”.
4. ASID had several National Board members participating in the event:
• Sonya Odell, FASID, AAHID, RID, 2011-2013 ASID National Director at Large, presented the CEU “So You Have an Interior Design Degree: What Are You Going to Do With It?” and co-presented the CEU “Why Waste the Space? How to Get 30% More Educational Space” twice.
• Teknion, ASID Industry Partner, sponsored a 90-min roundtable panel during the CEU “Design is in the Details”. Teknion VP of Architecture, Design & Workplace Strategies and 2013-2015 Industry Partner Representative to the ASID National Board, Kay Sargent, ASID, IIDA, CID, LEED AP ID+C, moderated a powerhouse panel made up of:
· Joan Blumenfeld, FAIA, IIDA, LEED ID+C of Perkins+Will – New York
· John B. Campbell, AIA, RIBA, NCARB, LEED AP of Francis Cauffman – Philadelphia
· Jo Staffelbach Heinz, FIIDA of Staffelbach – Dallas
· Nila R. Leiserowitz, FASID, IIDA of Gensler – Chicago
· Heidi Painchaud, B.I.D., B.F.A, NCIDQ, ARIDO, IDA of B+H – Toronto
• Laura McDonald Stewart, ASID, IIDA, LEED AP, RID, 2012-2014 ASID National Director at Large, has managed and promoted METROCON since 2011.
OTHER NEWSWORTHY FACTS
Going Mobile: For the first time we added a mobile display unit area, and TRI-KES traveled to the show with their 1963 Airstream that they renovated from a dilapidated trailer into a glamorous showcase.
Selling Out: Exhibitors showed under 274 vendor names in 400 booths plus the mobile display unit area. Booths sold out nine days ahead of the official close, and if 12 booths plus the mobile display unit area had not been added for 2013, booths would have sold out 21 days ahead of the official close. By the time the show took place, there were 17 vendors on a list waiting for 18 booths.
Garnering Support: We received 112 CEU presentation submittals (a 4.7% increase from the previous year’s show), and 98% of this year’s sponsorships sold in less than 90 days.
Educating The Masses: We offered 5,400 seats in 54 CEUs, allowing Attendees up to nine CEUs over two days while still providing eight hours on the trade show floor.
ATTITUDE OF GRATITUDE
Due to the dedication of the volunteer Committee made up of members of the Texas Chapter of ASID and the Texas Oklahoma Chapter of IIDA, as well as the generosity of 44 show sponsors – including Landmark Sponsor Business Interiors by Staples and Media Sponsor Design Guide Texas, ASID Industry Partner – prices for both exhibitors and attendees are extremely low relative to similar events around the USA, making our show an incredible value.
Isin King, Allied ASID, this year’s event Co-Chair, would like to give a heart-felt thanks to the many on-site volunteers, Bookkeeper Tara Murphy, Show Manager Laura McDonald Stewart, ASID, IIDA, LEED AP, RID, and the following ASID members on the event committee (listed in alphabetical order) who worked so hard throughout the year to make the event such an unparalleled success: Jim Bodsford, ASID IP Rep (Asst. Exhibitor Liaison); Lisa DiOnne, Allied ASID, LEED AP (Asst. Professional Development); Dianne Etheredge, ASID, IIDA, RID (Catering Chair); Allen Hart, ASID, RID (Volunteer Coordinator); Rosemarie René, ASID, RID (Past Presiding Chair); Ann Riedel, Allied ASID (Asst. Site & Logistics Chair); and Shawn Anne Shannon, Allied ASID (Exhibitor Liaison).
Those who made the ASID Texas Chapter 20’x10’ booth shine bright also deserve our praises: René Designs (Oscar and Rosemarie René, ASID), who designed, assembled and dismantled it, as well as ASID Industry Partner Tufenkian Artisan Carpets and The Ginger Grant Group for helping to furnish the booth.
Isin would also like to thank Melissa Goodman, Allied ASID (Midland) and Julie Reynolds, ASID, RID (Dallas) for devoting their Thursday afternoon to judging the Pegasus Exhibitor Awards. Speaking of…
Congratulations to the following exhibitors who were the recipients of this year’s Pegasus Exhibitor Awards!
• Best Overall Exhibit – Clarus Glassboards
• Most Informative Exhibit – Paloma Creations, ASID Industry Partner
• Best Promotional Campaign – Vicostone, ASID Industry Partner
• Best New Product – Soelberg Industries
Visit the METROCON Press page to find links to view photos from this year’s event, and visit the METROCON Home page to sign up to receive exhibitor and attendee notifications in order to stay informed about METROCON14, which will take place in Dallas on August 14 & 15, 2014. For developments throughout the year, follow us at facebook.com/METROCONexpo & twitter.com/METROCONexpo.
MILESTONE DATES FOR 2014’S EXPO & CONFERENCE
Interested in presenting, sponsoring, exhibiting or attending METROCON14? Then add the following key dates to your calendar, and be sure to make METROCON your primary venue for new products, continuing education and industry connections!
|Oct 1, 2013||2014 Sponsorship Opportunities posted online|
|Nov 1, 2013||2014 Floor Plan posted online|
|Nov 1, 2013||DEADLINE: Written Proposals for possible new Sponsorships due|
|Dec 30, 2013||DEADLINE: 2014 Promissory Agreements due (only for 2013 Sponsors reclaiming for 2014)|
|Jan 2, 2014||CEU Presentation Submissions Open | online|
|Jan 22, 2014||Sponsorship Soirée | Dallas – location TBD (date subject to change)|
|Feb 28, 2014||DEADLINE: CEU Presentation Submissions | online|
|Apr 1, 2014||Exhibitor Booth Sales Open | online|
|Jun 2, 2043||Attendee Pre-Registration Open | online|
|Jun 20, 2014||Exhibitor Booth Sales Close (if not sold out already) | online|
|Aug 1, 2014||Attendee / Exhibitor Badge Pre-Registration Closes | online|
|Aug 14-15, 2014||METROCON14 Expo & Conference | Dallas Market Hall|