METROCON Expo & Conference
METROCON15 EXPO & CONFERENCE: DON’T MISS IT!
Never been to our show? Then visit the Press page to find links to view photos from the 2014 event, and visit the Home page to sign up to receive exhibitor and attendee notifications in order to stay informed about METROCON15, which will take place in Dallas on August 13 & 14, 2015. For developments throughout the year, follow us at facebook.com/METROCONexpo & twitter.com/METROCONexpo.
Whether you are an Industry Partner, Practitioner, Educator or Student, there is something at METROCON for you, so plan on joining us for the event of the year. We look forward at greeting you on August 13 & 14, 2015!
MILESTONE DATES FOR 2015’S EXPO & CONFERENCE
Interested in presenting, sponsoring, exhibiting or attending METROCON15? Then add the following key dates to your calendar, and be sure to make METROCON your primary venue for new products, continuing education and industry connections!
|Oct 1, 2014||2015 Sponsorship Opportunities posted online|
|Nov 1, 2014||2015 Floor Plan posted online|
|Nov 1, 2014||DEADLINE: Written Proposals for possible new Sponsorships due|
|Dec 30, 2014||DEADLINE: 2015 Promissory Agreements due (only for 2014 Sponsors reclaiming for 2015)|
|Jan 2, 2015||CEU Presentation Submissions Open | online|
|Jan 21, 2015||Sponsorship Soirée | Dallas – location TBD (date subject to change)|
|Feb 27, 2015||DEADLINE: CEU Presentation Submissions | online|
|Apr 1, 2015||Exhibitor Booth Sales Open | online|
|Jun 1, 2015||Attendee Pre-Registration Open | online|
|Jun 19, 2015||Exhibitor Booth Sales Close (if not sold out already) | online|
|Jul 31, 2015||Attendee / Exhibitor Badge Pre-Registration Closes | online|
|Aug 13-14, 2015xxx||METROCON15 Expo & Conference | Dallas Market Hall|
If you were not at Dallas Market Hall on August 14 & 15, then you missed an amazing opportunity to establish business relationships with, learn from, and network with 2,500+ interior designers, architects, facility managers, interior design students, and other essential design industry members from all over Texas, Oklahoma, and 25 other states across the USA!
In post-show media coverage about the event, Bob Beck, Publisher of officeinsight, the “voice of those who create workplace design & furnishings,” praised METROCON as a “worthwhile event” and regarded the show’s 12th year as a “stunning success.” Not surprisingly, the 2014 Committee whole-heartedly agreed.
ASID Proved Itself to be the Core of the Design Network
ASID volunteers and headquarters staff contributed greatly to the success of METROCON14, which marks the 10th anniversary of the ASID Texas Chapter’s involvement. ASID designed its activities to align with the three Core Values & Strategic Guideposts that support ASID’s Why Statement – i.e., ASID advances the profession and communicates the impact of interior design to enhance the human experience – all of which are detailed in ASID’s Strategic Plan. [To learn more about ASID’s Strategic Plan, download a copy by visiting the About ASID page.]
#1: ASID prepares its members to excel in a dynamic and evolving profession competing in a global marketplace.
On Friday, August 15 from 10:30am-11:30am, ASID CEO Randy Fiser presented ASID’s Industry Outlook, which he debuted at NeoCon in June. With its analysis of the economic impact of interior design on the economy and a review of the trends affecting the practice and business of interior design, this in-depth dive into ASID-compiled research is helping to guide business decisions, influence practice, and advance careers.
In a second article related to METROCON14, officeinsight’s Beck reported that Fiser’s “presentation was an excellent high-level overview of the state of the industry in the context of the current economic climate.” [To download an Executive Summary of the Interior Design 2014 Outlook and State of the Industry for free or to purchase the full report ($50 for members / $85 for non-members), visit the ASID Knowledge Center.]
#2: ASID leads collaboration with those working to promote the value of interior design.
For the first time ever at METROCON, ASID held Student Career Exchange, its national program offered annually at NeoCon and NeoCon East. This esteemed collaborative event took place on Friday, August 15 from 1:00pm-2:30pm and featured student portfolio and resume reviews, as well as one-on-one discussions with companies who hire and/or work with interior designers.
Tiffany Neumann, ASID’s Associate of Education and Engagement, and Sarita Williams, ASID’s Coordinator of Education and Engagement, along with Texas Chapter members Dianne Etheredge, ASID, RID, Corey Davey, Allied ASID, and Laura McDonald Stewart, ASID, RID, helped coordinate the participation of the following members from the Texas Chapter and beyond. Please join us in thanking all of them for taking the time to share their wide-ranging experience in order to benefit the future of our industry and our society:
|Manufacturers & their Representatives
• Aria Stone Gallery* – Amanda Reilly, ASID, RID
• Business Interiors by Staples – Carl Bergauer
• Concept Surfaces – Geoffrey Gross
• Direct Supply Aptura – Lynn Vogeltanz, ASID
• Innovations in Wallcoverings* – Jessica Craig
• Knoll* – Jen Graybiel
• Legrand* – Amy Collier
• Robert Allen* – James Campbell
• Sherwin-Williams Company* – Ashlynn Bourque & Steve Clements
• Teknion* – Kerry Walton
• UltraMedia, Inc.* – Pat & Valerie Johnson
• Walker Zanger* – Allyson HumphriesEducation + Organizations
• University of Texas – School of Architecture: Garrett Loontjer
• University of Texas – School of Interior Design: Tamie Glass, ASID, RID
|xxxxx||Portfolio & Resume Reviewers
• Luis Araujo of Tufenkian Artisan Carpets*
• Laura Britt, ASID, RID of Laura Britt Design & Vervano
• Robin Burrill, ASID, NCIDQ, CAPS of Curb Appeal Renovations
• Carmen Busceme of Hansgrohe*
• Sara Dement, ASID, RID of Dement Designs
• Karen Gaither, RID of Knoll*
• Bruce Goff, FASID°° of Domus Design Group
• Kevin Hamby, ASID, RID° of Kevin Hamby Designs
• AnnMarie Jackson, ASID, AAHID, EDAC°°° of Sherlock, Smith & Adams, Inc.
• Lynne T. Jones, ASID, RID° of Lynne T. Jones Interior Design
• Janus Lazaris, ASID° of Janus Design
• Lauren Amber Prestenbach, ASID, RID, LEED ID+C, EDAC° of KI
• Veronica Sandoval, Allied ASIDof Forrest Perkins*ASID Industry Partner
°out of the ASID Texas Gulf Coast Chapter
°°out of the ASID South Central Chapter
°°°out of the ASID Alabama Chapter
#3: ASID advances the profession by generating, collecting and disseminating applied knowledge.
Again, METROCON offered 5,400 seats in 54 CEUs, allowing Attendees up to nine CEUs over two days while still providing eight hours on the trade show floor. We are pleased to report that the following CEUs were taught by ASID members, and we cannot thank them enough for sharing their knowledge with our attendees:
• “Minimal Space Design” by Brian Lerkins of Victoria + Albert Bath, ASID Industry Partner
• “Area Rug Constructions” by Leah Phillips of Delos Rugs, ASID Industry Partner
• “Wood Veneer 101” by Beret Evenstad, Allied ASID of Nevers Industries, Inc.
• “Stone Care” by Bob Buswell & Mike Bastone of Walker Zanger, ASID Industry Partner
• “Hard Facts About Soft Surfaces” by Kurt Falvey of Fiber Seal Systems, ASID Industry Partner
• “Integrating Audio Video Components Without Compromising Your Design” by Shane Bala of Starlight AV Inc, ASID Industry Partner
• “Champions of Design” by Carmen Busceme of Hansgrohe, ASID Industry Partner
• “Interior Design Uses of Reclaimed Wood Flooring” by Rick Farrell & Hank Holland of Woodwright Hardwood Floor Company, ASID Industry Partner
• “The Business Side of Design” by ASID National Board Member AnnMarie Jackson, ASID, AAHID, EDAC of Sherlock, Smith & Adams, Inc.
• “Designing a Green Kitchen” by Theresa Collins of Sub-Zero and Wolf, ASID Industry Partner
• “Seeing Red” by Ashlynn Bourque of Sherwin-Williams Company, ASID Industry Partner
Even MORE ASID Noteworthy News
• In an effort to ensure that their students and emerging professionals had access to resources to help them connect with the industry, our friends and fellow members in the ASID Texas Gulf Coast Chapter chartered a bus from Houston that brought approximately 20 students and 10 designers and Industry Partners to METROCON to experience the trade show and participate in the ASID Student Career Exchange.
• For the first time Apex Supply Co. brought the Toilet Tour Bus by ASID Industry Partner Kohler to the show to give attendees a chance to see firsthand what makes their “toilets a flush above the rest.” Find out more at kohlertoilettour.com.
• Business Interiors by STAPLES, the 2014 Landmark Sponsor, created a Social Media Hive so that attendees could “relax, recharge, rehydrate and retweet.” After the show they generously donated an ASID Texas Chapter branded charging station to the chapter for its use.
• As a precursor to the new student programming at METROCON14, ASID Texas Chapter hosted a Student Mixer on the evening of Thursday, August 14 at the Dallas showroom of ASID Industry Partner Ferguson Bath & Kitchen Gallery. Students were encouraged to stop in to meet new people and see some friendly faces before Friday’s ASID Student Career Exchange.
High, High Praise
METROCON’s extreme value is in part due to the support and generosity of a variety of exhibitors, speakers, and event sponsors, including 2014 Landmark Sponsor, Business Interiors by Staples, and 2014 Media Sponsor, ASID Industry Partner Design Guide Texas. Please join us in thanking the long list of ASID Industry Partners who exhibited at the show, as well as the following IPs who sponsored this year (listed in alphabetical order):
Dallas Market Center
FiberSeal of Dallas
Paloma Creations LLC
|xxxxxxx||Starlight AV Inc
Victoria + Albert Baths
This year’s Presiding Chair, Isin King, Allied ASID, wants to give extremely high praise to the many, many people who were instrumental in making METROCON14 materialize:
• The dozens of on-site volunteers who donated their time during the show to greet attendees, guide exhibitors and monitor CEUs.
• Metrocon, Inc.’s only hired staff: Bookkeeper Tara Murphy, and Show Manager & Promoter Laura McDonald Stewart, ASID, IIDA, LEED AP, RID.
• And last – but absolutely, positively NOT least – the ASID members on the event committee who worked so hard throughout the year to make the event such an unparalleled success (listed in alphabetical order): Dianne Etheredge, ASID, RID (Catering Chair); Allen Hart, ASID, RID (Volunteer Coordinator & Co-Chair-Elect); Rosemarie René, ASID, RID (Asst. Sponsor Liaison & Past Presiding Chair); Ann Riedel, Allied ASID (Asst. Volunteer Coordinator); and Shawn Anne Shannon, Allied ASID (Exhibitor Liaison).
Those who made the ASID Texas Chapter 20’x10’ booth stand out (and stand up!) also deserve recognition: ASID Industry Partner Dallas Rugs and The Ginger Grant Group for helping to furnish the booth, as well as René Design Solutions (Oscar and Rosemarie René, ASID, RID), who, in addition to lending us the video screen, assembled and dismantled the booth.
We would also like to thank Cynthia Adler, ASID, RID (Richardson) and Dawn Cleaves, ASID IP Rep from Artisan Finishes (Dallas) for devoting their Thursday afternoon to judging the Pegasus Exhibitor Awards. Speaking of…
CONGRATULATIONS to the following exhibitors who were the recipients of this year’s Pegasus Exhibitor Awards!
• Best Overall Exhibit – Tarkett – Johnsonite
• Most Informative Exhibit – Paloma Creations
• Best Promotional Campaign – Anzea
• Best New Product – Nucraft
Lastly, congratulations to METROCON’s inaugural Booth Bingo Winners, who each received a $100 Visa Gift Card in the mail after the show!
• Rebecca Proctor of Chancellor Interiors Inc (Midland)
• Kathy Adcock-Smith, ASID, RID of Adcock-Smith Design (Dallas)